Farm Oriented Open Data in Europe - Foodie
The agriculture sector is a unique sector due to its strategic importance for both European citizens (consumers) and economy (regional and global) which, ideally, should make the whole sector a network of interacting organizations.
Challenges of the Project
The different groups of stakeholders involved in the agricultural activities have to manage many different and heterogeneous sources of information that need to be combined in order to make economically and environmentally sound decisions, such as:
● definition of policies (subsides, standardisation and regulation, national strategies for rural development, climate change);
● valuation of ecological performances;
● development of sustainable agriculture, crop recollection, timing and pricing;
● plagues detection, etc.
In this context, future agriculture knowledge management systems have to support not only direct profitability of agriculture or environment protection, but also activities of individuals and groups allowing effective collaboration among groups in the agri-food industry, consumers, public administrations and wider stakeholders communities,
Objectives of the Project
FOODIE project aims at:
● building and open and interoperable agricultural specialized platform hub on the cloud for the management of spatial and non-spatial agriculture related data from heterogeneous sources;
● integrating of existing and valuable European open datasets related to agriculture;
● data publication and data linking of external agriculture data sources contributed by different public and private stakeholders, through an open and flexible lightweight Application Programming Interface (API);
● providing specific and high-value applications and services for the support in the planning an decision-making processes of different stakeholders groups related to the agricultural and environmental domains;
● providing a marketplace where data can be discovered and exchanged but also external companies can publish their own agricultural application based on the data, services and applications provided by FOODIE.